Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Moving Up!

   Moving up to Rochester that is.  On Sept 1st I started a year long residency at Genesee Pottery in Rochester NY   I'm nervous and incredibly excited.  It feels a little unbalanced being in a studio again, but at the same time it already feels like home.  Genesee is full of my three favorite things.... clay, community, and education.
   Monday was my first class and Oooo was I nervous.  I had all the major symptoms of nervotitus.  Shaky voice, bad grammar, A.D.D., stomach rot, bad jokes.... I'll stop there, but you get the point.  Although it was pretty obvious I was a newbie the class went pretty well.  It is really rewarding and the class was off to an awesome start with coil and pinch pots.  Their creativity and skill was really impressive.   It reminded me how important it was to play.  We can learn a lot by letting go of expectations and following intuition.  My biggest hope for the class is that they get as much out of me as I will out of them.
   As for my own studio work we will just have to wait.  I'm starting off making the bowls I'm required to make for the Chili bowl fundraiser.  It is actually relieving having somewhat of an assignment.  Otherwise I don't know what I would be making right now.
   Tonight I set a couple new goals for myself.  Two nights a week I am on studio monitor duty at the Pottery.  While things are slow I should either be reading or working on this blog.  If you catch me doing otherwise please call me out on it.